Musetracker is an NES music tracker that I originally created about 4 years ago to be used in the NES demo “High Hopes”. Back then FamiTracker was too resource hungry to be used in a demo and NerdTracker II, IMO, was too limited. I was supposed to release it right after Assembly 2007 but somehow that didn’t happen due to feature creep and some other things. I have a added a lot of features since then, like raw PCM sample support and better editing options.
is was the only NES tracker supporting raw PCM samples (7-bit with 7.8 kHz sampling rate). So why 7.8 kHz? I wanted to be able to use the tunes in a demo at some point, so playing a sample every two scanlines (PAL) seemed like the best option. Just to clear any misconceptions: Musetracker doesn’t resample the PCM samples in realtime! This means the sample can only be played at the frequency it was imported at. The rationale is, like said above, to be able to use the results in an actual production — resampling would eat too much CPU for that.
Musetracker was formerly called Pornotracker.
Here are some covers I’ve made using it:
– get rid of Win32/little endian dependant code
– OSX/Linux/etc ports
– v15 (2012-01-11): Name changed to Musetracker, version numbering method changed
– Version 1.4.1 (2011-09-19): Fixed some bugs in MUSE export
– Version 1.4 (2011-09-14): MUSE (6502 playback library for games and demos), linear frequency handling (note slide speed and vibrato is not dependent on the note frequency anymore), glissando, max. channel volume was changed from 15 to 63, modifier keys don’t hang when using Alt+Tab to switch windows (SDL fix), support for display drivers that don’t support non-power-of-two textures, fix to copy/pasting from the triangle channel, fixed (bad!) bugs in autodelay, volume envelope ending in 0 with loop is now considered a note off, fixed note slides/etc in the example songs, various bugfixes…
– Version 1.3 (2011-08-18): FamiTone text export, software synthesized pulse/saw on the PCM channel, max. number of instruments increased to 255, max. envelope length increased to 250, PCM samples are loaded in normal instrument slots, DPCM sample support, instrument type switching, iNES export option removed, NSF timing is cycle perfect, instrument colors can be changed, instrument envelopes can be copied to clipboard, Triangle channel octaves match Pulse octaves, + a bunch of other stuff that I forgot about
– Version 1.2 (2011-08-06): Configuration file, OpenGL rendering, fine tune envelope, note cut effect, auto delay effect, new example song (i-like.pom), PCM column was expanded for future updates such as DPCM
– Version 1.1 BETA (2011-03-11): NSF export, NTSC/PAL mode switch, customizable background, metronome
– Version 1.0 (2010-11-18): Initial release
NOTE! Some antivirus software (such as F-Secure and AntiVir) erroneously detects Musetracker.exe as “Gen:Heur.Bodegun.10”. This is a false positive and nothing to worry about.